Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dependents

(In response to As Above So Below. While the writing for this project has been non-fiction up till now, the following post is fiction and all proceeding posts will be fiction too, unless otherwise noted.)

“He leans on her too much,” I heard my grandfather say through the vents, soon after my dad had left. “I can’t imagine she has much regard for that.”

I was shocked. I got out of bed and put my ear to the ceiling, trying to listen more but my grandmother only said “Mmm, well, only the Lord knows, I suppose,” before they started talking about some TV show. And then they left the kitchen and went to bed.

My dad had just left after visiting my grandparents and me on the coast. I didn’t think he leaned on me. I always thought I leaned on him. I’d lived with him for a few months after I dropped out of college, helping out by mowing the lawn and washing the floors and stuff, but I felt bad I was mooching so much so I asked my grandparents if I could stay at their place instead. They always seemed like they wanted company, and they were only an hour away from the city anyhow.

I didn’t know what my grandparents were talking about. I took out a bag of chips from the stash under my dresser and sat on the floor eating them while I texted him: Dad, do you feel like you lean on me for things? I got a call from him a second later but I knew he’d be driving so I didn’t answer it. Call me when you’re off the road, I don’t want you hurt, I texted. Sorry, I didn’t mean to make you worry, I added. Just think about it while you’re driving.

I was too wired over what my grandfather had said, so I decided to walk into town for coffee at the Sev. I had to get up early, my grandmother to take me to the dentist, so I thought maybe I’d just stay up all night. Maybe I’d be so tired I could sleep while they filled my cavities.

I put on my coat and went upstairs to the kitchen and put their dishes in the sink, then I washed the table. I tried not to make noise, but I must have been loud because soon my grandfather turned on the light, yawning and scratching his chest.

“What’re you doing up, Steph.”

“Oh,” I said. I couldn’t pretend I wasn’t about to leave, not with my coat on. “I was just going to go for a quick walk. I couldn’t sleep. Just washing the table before I go.”

“You don’t need to do that,” he said.

“It’s no trouble.”

“You don’t need to do that,” he said.

I looked at the table. There were crumbs and cat hair everywhere. I’m always a little bothered that my grandfather – and my grandmother, for that matter – can’t see all the grossness around here, but I don’t ask questions. “Okay,” I said. I could finish washing it later when he was asleep.

“Grandma’s on the phone with your father,” he continued.

“What?” I said. “He shouldn’t be driving and talking, tell him-“

“Don’t worry about that,” he said. “We’re taking care of it.”

“Make sure,” I insisted.

“We’ve taken care of it!” He said. “Don’t worry.”

Grandma came out of the bedroom on the cordless. “He says he’s gotta get home, Steph,” she said. “He says he’ll call you tomorrow and you should get some sleep.”

“It’s okay, I’m not going to sleep for a while,” I offered. “I’m here if he needs to talk when he gets home. Or if he wants to stay on the side of the road and talk, that’s okay too.”

“He says he’ll call you tomorrow,” she said. “He says go to bed.”

I knew they’d just worry if they knew I was out late, so I said okay and took off my coat and went into my room and turned off the light. I was still too wired, so I decided I’d wait till they were asleep and then wash the table and go for coffee. Then I heard somebody up there – probably Grandma – cracking ice cubes and clanking bottles. I made a note to check the upstairs bathroom for vomit when I got back, and get up early to take care of the hangover. We were out of ibuprofen. I’d have to pick some up at the Sev.

After forty, fifty minutes, I decided they'd be asleep, so I snuck upstairs in my coat. Walking through the kitchen I saw a couple bottles on the counter. I hung my head and leaned against the fridge. I could do the table when I got back. I put the bottles in the freezer, as quietly as I could, and left the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment