Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Forever

In response to Circuit

I feel like one of the standard questions children ask about God is "If God made everybody, who made God?" Nobody. "Well, than what came before God?" Nothing. "How does that work?" It just does/don't ask questions/etc are common and unhelpful answers, certainly. But also common are reasonable theological answers about the eternity of God, the lack of comprehension that humans have to understand God's true nature, etc. Which, of course, goes right over the head of a six-year-old. It did for me, anyway.

These days I find myself pretty okay with God's existence and what it means to me. But I find myself asking about the universe now. "How is the universe infinite?" "How can anything be infinite?" "What happened before the Big Bang?" I've heard and read a few reasonable scientific answers to these questions, none of which I could relay and explain to you, as they too go right over my head. And I wonder if as I grow older I've simply traded one set of trusted adults for another.

(On an unrelated note, "Ultimate fate of the universe" has its own Wikipedia page. There is, however, a disclaimer at the top that the article "needs additional citations for verification".)

In some Sunday school classes, a teacher demonstrates eternity by drawing a short chalk line to symbolize our lives on Earth. And then a long one which goes off the chalkboard "and goes on forever and ever!"

I don't think they have it right. I don't think the analogy works. I've never had a problem with the idea of God, but I've always been skeptical of the chalk line. Because if something doesn't have an ending, then it stands to reason it never had a beginning either.

1 comment: